μArrayer User Manual
μArrayer Parts and Controls
1. Print handle. Rotate the Print Handle for continuously printing a row of microarray spots.
The spots are printed with the intervals specific to the model of the uArrayer. u700 deposits
spots 700um apart from each other.
With each revolution the arrayer moves print head 0.7 mm, lowers the print head to produce a spot
and lifts the print head.
With clockwise rotation the spots are printed from left to right. With counter-clockwise rotation
the spots are printed from right to left.
2. Slide Shift Dial. Use the Slide Shift Dial for shifting slide holder with the the slide to
start a new row of spots. One revolution of the dial moves slide 700um. The slide can be moved to
distances smaller or bigger than 700um by turning the dial to less or more than full revolution. 1/2
revolution results in 350um shift. 2 revolutions result in 1400 um shift.
3. Free Movement Dial. Use the Free Movement dial to move the head left or right, without making
spots. The dial will rotate only if the pin is lifted over the slide surface.
4. Slide Holder. Accommodates one substrate 75mm x 25mm (3" x 1")
NOTE: uArrayer can be equipped with print heads for pins of other vendors
or custom pront heads. ( Discuss custom specs with our technical support. )
Pin Cleaning and Sample Pickup
Sample pickup and pin cleaning between the samples has to be done manually.
For pin cleaning the pin has to be taken out of the print head. Dip the pin in a reservoir with washing
liquid and then dry it in the Vacuum Dryer, provided with the uArrayer.
Sample pickup is done by dipping the pin it in a reservoir with a sample.
After pickup place the pin in the print head and continue printing another series of spots.
Vacuum Dryer next to uArrayer.
NOTE: Xtend pins (due to tubular construction ) can be preloaded with a fairly large amount of sample.
Each pin can hold its own sample. In this case pins can be replaced in the print head after
certain number of spots. No pin cleaning is required, since each pin holds only one sample.
Vacuum Dryer is designed for manually drying capillary and split pins after washing them in a washing
solution. The Vacuum Nozzle is connected to a vacuum source (vacuum pump or a central vacuum pipe) and
provides a steady flow of air through the nozzle in the middle of the body. The airflow will go through
the pin placed in the nozzle.
1. Vacuum Nozzle. Privides airflow for drying microarray pins.
2. Vacuum tube fitting. Connects vacuum nozzle to a vacuum source.
3. Suction cup. Firmly attaches the vacuum nozzle to flat surfaces.
4. Print Pin. Microarray pin inserted in the vacuum nozzle.